We believe that for our students to thrive in secondary school, they require a smooth transition between key stages. We need to sustain in them an enthusiasm for learning, confidence in themselves as learners and the resilience that will see them endeavour to succeed.
Our aims for transition are:
- To support our new children to feel safe and happy at EPHS
- To promote the continuity of education between primary and secondary school
- To identify and target specific support for those students who might need it most
- To ensure that all students are nurtured, stretched and challenged to reach their full potential
- To ensure that parent and carers are fully informed and supported through the transfer process
- To achieve these aims, we complete primary school visits to all feeder schools, working closely with the Year 6 teachers and SENCOs. We also attend borough wide transition events across both Bromley and Croydon.
Each year we hold a welcome evening in June for all Year 6 students and their families as well as a “onesie” afternoon ahead of the formal transition day which is intended to offer additional support to those students who have been identified as needing additional support in the transition process (for example, by being the one student from their feeder school who is coming to EPHS).
To further support transition, we host an induction day in July and a Year 7 Summer School in August.